St. Francis Abbey
The abbey was founded by Richard Marshall, Earl of Pembroke in1234.
The Black Death or plague, which spread through Ireland in 1348,
was recorded by John Glynn who was a friar in St. Francis Abbey. A year later
he died from the plague but he hadn't finished his account. In 1650 Cromwell demolished
the abbey into ruins.
Smithwicks opened a brewery there in 1710
and it's one of the oldest brewerys in Ireland.
It is now owned
by Guinness. Guided tours are available each day during the summer.