Shee Alms House
The Shees were a wealthy merchant family in Kilkenny in the sixteenth century
much like the Rothes who built Rothe House. In 1582, Sir Richard Shee founded
the alms house 'to accommodate twelve poor persons'.
Shee held the office of Deputy Treasurer of Ireland and received a knighthood
in 1582. He died in 1608. In 1752 the alms house was sold by Edmond Shee .
Shees were dispossessed during the Cromwellian era
The Shee family regained
ownership of the house in 1756. The last record of any inmates in the house date
back to 1830. The Alms house was in 1978 acquired by Kilkenny Corporation and
restored to its original condition.
In 1981 it was reopened as the present
tourist office in the city. In 1986 the City Scope project, a miniature scaled
model of Kilkenny in the 16th century, opened on the second floor of the building.
It is one of the few remaining Tudor alms houses in Ireland.
Phone 056-7722224 Mobile: 087-2255333